The headquarters of the Museo de Arte Moderno de Cartagena de Indias is made up of two buildings: one was built during the second half of the 17th century by the Spanish crown so the first Customhouse of the Port of Cartagena de Indias would function there. The second was built at the end of the 19th century as an addition to the warehouses located there.
In 1875 the Sala de Armas (weapons room) was established. Years later it became a shop where artillery pieces and mountings were constructed and repaired. It received the name of Casa de Armas, place where the surplus of weapons of the war cruises and regiment equipment were stored.
The Museo de Arte Moderno de Cartagena de Indias is a cultural institution and functions since 1979. It is located on the Plaza de San Pedro Claver, next to the church and convent with the same name.