On June 6, 1617 license was given the Order of Mercy to found a convent in the city. In 1628 the work began. The date of the cover read "1625" which gives the date of commencement of construction. This convent was a church regular proportions and great cloister. The church was the type of three ships in a plane 1716. Some of the arches of the cloister remain very Reformed. The outer walls of the church were utilized to build the Teatro Heredia in 1911. The facade of the temple had a simple doorway flanked by pilasters and topped by a pediment; tower had arches and pilasters in, very similar to the old cathedral upper body.